Monday 17 February 2014

Author Interview- T. S. Easton

Today, we have author T. S. Easton talking to us about Boys Don't Knit and lots of other things. I really enjoyed Boys Don't Knit, so was looking forwards to seeing his answers!





Who would you say that Boys Don't Knit is for?
The book is suitable for ages 11+. Not that there’s anything inappropriate for younger readers but some of the concepts and jokes are a little old for middle-grade readers. I’d like to think it should appeal to both boys and girls.

Did you learn anything while writing Boys Don't Knit?
I learned to knit. Badly. I also learned rather more about yarn grades than I’d ever expected to know.

Who's your favourite character and why?
Other than Ben (more about him later) I like Mrs Frensham. At first she’s terrifying, rude and mistrustful, but once Ben breaks through the barriers armed only with a ball of yarn and a mouldy knitting pattern she becomes his protector, confidant and friend. She’s still quite rude to him, though.

Were you actively trying to challenge gender stereotypes with Boys Don't Knit?
I hadn’t intended to when I started writing. I just wanted to try and write a funny book. But the tension created when Ben is trying to hide his yarny secret really drives the narrative. Ben only developed as a real character when I realised I had to perch him, uncomfortably, on the fence between the gender roles.

If Boys Don't Knit were a film, what would be on the soundtrack?
Probably Mr Brightside by The Killers. My iTunes shuffle function seemed to throw it up a lot while I was writing the book. (I always listen to loud music when writing). It has the same sense of developing panic that Ben feels as the book progresses. Other than that, all I know is that it would be an album full of guilty pleasures.

Are there any characters you think you or anyone else can relate to?
I think most boys can relate to Ben. Ben has certain characteristics which some might consider feminine. Not just knitting, but writing a diary for example. I think a lot of boys possess such characteristics, they just hide them for fear of being mocked. We all need to learn that it’s OK to knit, or to write, or to dance. And we also need to remember that we don’t have to watch Jeremy Clarkson if we don’t want

What are you reading at the moment?
I’m between books. I don’t have much time for reading unfortunately as most of my ‘spare’ time I spend writing. I recently read the Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey which I enjoyed enormously.

Handwriting or typing-which do you prefer?
Typing. Hate handwriting. I correct myself as I go.

Do you have different enjoyment levels for writing different genres?
I enjoy writing humour more, but find it more difficult. It’s hard to be funny at 6.30am on a train on a damp Tuesday in February. When writing my thrillers I find I get into the flow of writing far more easily and write the books more quickly.

What keeps you writing?
I love that there are people out there who want to read my books. It’s humbling and makes me want to try harder.

Is there anything else you want to say?
Please follow me on Twitter! @tomeaston I love getting feedback and try to respond to everyone.


Thank you very much for agreeing to the interview! Tom cn be found on Facebook, Twitter, and at his website.


Boys Don't Knit
Ben Fletcher must get to grips with his more 'feminine' side following an unfortunate incident with a lollipop lady and a stolen bottle of Martini Rosso from Waitrose. All a big misunderstanding of course. To avoid the Young Offenders unit, Ben is ordered to give something back to the community and develop his sense of social alignment. Take up a hobby and keep on the straight and narrow. The hot teacher he likes runs a knitting group so Ben, reluctantly at first, gets 'stuck in'. Not easy when your dad is a sports fan and thinks Jeremy Clarkson is God. To his surprise, Ben finds that he likes knitting and that he has a mean competitive streak. If he can just keep it all a secret from his mates...and notice that the girl of his dreams, girl-next-door Megan Hooper has a bit of a thing for him..

3 comments:

  1. I loved Boys Don't Knit, so really enjoyed reading this interview.

    Thank you, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Boys Don't Knit, too!:D Awesome book, I loved this interview too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little interview.

    Mel

    http://meljwills.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...